Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mel-odramatic Genius

So in my World Cinema class we are watching A Year of Living Dangerously with young (super attractive) Mel Gibson, the incredible Linda Hunt and Sigourney Weaver; who is so pretty though not in the scary plastic surgery/glamazon way that's shamefully everywhere today. We didn't finish it in class during the week but I was so engaged in it I had to finish it when I got home and luckily it was on Netflix Watch Instantly.Made in 1982 and Oscar-winning, its romantic and incredibly suspenseful at the same time. It's neccesary to ignore all preconcieved notions about how disgusting Mel Gibson is now as an old man, and let yourself be swept away with how gorgeous he is in the movie as a 20-something. When I wasn't sighing over the sight of Mel Gibson in a tuxedo, I noticed the simple genius of Sigourney's clothes. . .meant to withstand tropic weather / and a little safari inspired, they retain a classic, flattering shape.


It takes a true character to carry off a hat like that


Not only is this a favorite scene but her patterned dress is so casually stunning



The melodramatic poster


Hope you can kind of see the clean lines of her shirtdress

If you haven't seen this I strongly recommend either renting it or viewing it on Netflix. . .as my World Cinema teacher said before we started watching this; everyone should have a year of living dangerously. Though Indonesian political turmoil,violent revolution and armed guards are not required.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment